Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 07:52:29 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Jorge Ramirez <ijand2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Popper - "canonical name of client", "ERR password supplied"

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 07:47:58AM -0800, Jorge Ramirez wrote:
> I just finished setting up a dns server, with sendmail and popper.  The
> mail has no problem being sent to and from the mail server, but when i
> try to access any of the mail accounts using a pop3 client on another
> computer on the network, it gives me the following errors...
>
> ns1 popper[1459]: (v2.53) Unable to get canonical name of client
> 192.168.1.32
> ns1 popper[1459]: user@[192.168.1.32]: -ERR password supplied for
> "user" is incorrect.
>

> I have a feeling that the canonical name error has something to do with
> the dns server.

You're right. You need to put in a ptr-entry for 192.168.1.32 on the
DNS server.

>But why does it keep giving me a bad password error,
> when the password is correct?

A few questions first:
    1. Did you install popper from the ports system
    2. Do you have an entry in /etc/pam.conf for pop3
    3. Are you *sure* of the case-sensitivity of both USER and
       PASSWORD?

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>