Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 07:28:19 +0200
From:      Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Laptoppers <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: hard drive

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 12:26:25PM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> for me, the bottleneck on laptops is the disk throughput.  the hard
> drives themselves are slow, and the bandwidth to them sucks.  for
> big makes etc., a 10GHz cpu would not improve throughput as much as
> doubling the disk goodput.
>
> is anybody making laptoys with real disk i/o subsystems?

Imho the gap between desktop and laptop is getting smaller. There are
quite some laptops shipping with UDMA100 now.

"dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/null bs=4096" gives me 22 MB/s. I don't have a
recent desktop so I don't know how this compares to recent desktop
performance but I don't think it is bad.

This combined with a 1800Mhz PIV and 256MB DDR memory makes it do
buildworlds in 45 minutes.

Mark

--
Mark Santcroos                    RIPE Network Coordination Centre
http://www.ripe.net/home/mark/    New Projects Group/TTM