Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:14:12 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        kalts@estpak.ee, Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or  Desktop OS?)

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:

> Not to pick on anyone, but for as long as I can recall Marc
> (scrappy@hub.org) has run afoul of many problems and it's either due to
> taking risks or just shit luck and stepping on every odd and rare bug
> there is.  Not that it's any fun being the exception.  8-/

I don't disagree here, so don't considering it being picked on ... but, if
those 'odd and rare bugs' could be properly debugged and fixed, it saves
someone else from hitting it ... life without risks is boring, and -STABLE
was a risk that I've taken for many years now.  As I've mentioned before,
I've never expected it to be rock solid, or never to crash ... I just wish
there was a better mechanism for getting those crashes analyzed and fixed

I'm not afraid to replace hardware ... the guys at Rackspace have been
great in that regard ... I think Venus has had three motherboards put in
her "just in case", RAM swap'd out 4 times "just in case", power supplies
upgraded to 400W (which did fix some of the issues), etc ... I don't think
I could ask for anything better of them ...

In the period that they were working on the hardware, Matt found one of
those 'odd and rare' bugs and got it fixed, so the OS benefitied as a
result, as will anyone else using the 4.x branch of the tree ...