Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:06:19 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        hsengyip@singnet.com.sg
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum Mirroring

On Thursday, 16 September 1999 at  9:30:26 +0000, hsengyip@singnet.com.sg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I will like to mirror my existing paritions on my primary hard disk
> to my newly installed second hard disk. I read around the postings
> in the mailing list and realised that Vinum could accomplished this.
>
> Before I start using Vinum, I will like to know if the existing data
> on my primary hard disk will be affected if I convert it into a
> Vinum partition?

Yes.  You will lose everything.

Vinum partitions reserve 131 kB at the beginning of the partition for
configuration information.  This makes them incompatible with 4.2BSD
partitions, but it also means that you can't lose them.  If you pull
or swap a disk in a normal 4.2BSD-based system, the drive names will
change, and you'll have to go searching for them.  Vinum will still
find its partitions.

Greg