Date:      Wed, 09 May 2012 13:55:26 -0400
From:      Charles Owens <cowens@greatbaysoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   superpages not solving "PV entries" limit warning

Hi fellow BSD-types,

I have a buy system that forks lots of processes and I see repeatedly
the message:  "Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing
either the vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max tunable".  My
research suggested that enabling the "superpages" feature via sysctl
vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled was the best action... that doing so would quite
the warning and improve memory mapping efficiency.

As far as I can tell, however, "superpages" haven't done this -- well,
to be specific, I can say at least that they haven't quieted the
warning.  Since I'm still seeing the warning, do I need to tune
something else?  Other comments?

System details:

  * 8.1-RELEASE-p2 i386 PAE kernel
  * 6 GB RAM