Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 13:38:31 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpd dies

At 10:46 AM -0500 5/21/01, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>I have a computer that acts as a hub and runs a network
>printer.  After a long period of no printing activity, lpd
>simply dies.  I spoke with my sys-admin at work where we
>also use FreeBSD, and it seems that this problem happens
>there also.  He said that he also had this problems with
>Sun computers when we used to use them.  It is easy to
>fix - simply restart lpd.  But it is a bit of a bother.
>
>Does anyone know anything about this?

I am not aware of any problem like this.  Here at RPI, we
run a "somewhat modified" version of FreeBSD's lpd on a
few hundred workstations, and I am not aware with any
problems with lpd dieing (even though some of those
workstations clearly go for weeks at a time without
printing anything).  Now, that's not running it under
freebsd, and we do have a somewhat different version,
but I would expect to know about it of it were a common
problem.  When something does kill 'lpd' by mistake, we
have no process that restarts it.

What do you mean by "long period"?  Days?  Weeks?

Is this on a print server, which is accepting print jobs
from other boxes to print on some locally-attached printer?
Or is it a "print client", which has no locally-attached
printers but sends all print jobs to some remote host?

We (RPI) *did* have this problem in AIX boxes, when AIX
was running out of memory and would start killing off
random processes.  But I added 'sigdanger' support, which
fixed the problem we were seeing.  Of course, that would
only fix it for AIX, but then those were the only machines
where we were running with an absurdly small amount of RAM...

Do you see any messages in /var/log/messages?