Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2000 08:40:36 -0400
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "kyle" <kyle@pchost.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sound in 4.0...

----- Original Message -----
From: "kyle" <kyle@pchost.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2000 12:17 AM
Subject: Sound in 4.0...

> Hi,
>
> I have  been trying to sound working on my laptop.
>
> I'm using 4.0 RELEASE.
>
> here is my KERNEL config and the error that it produces
>
> ----->snd bit for the KERNEL
>
> #this is for the sound
> #controller     snd0
> #device                 isa0
> device          snd0
> device          sb0
> #device                 sbxvi0 at isa ? drq ?
> #device                 sbmidi0 at isa ? port 0x300
> device          opl0 at isa? port 0x388
> #device         pcm0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
> device          pcm
> device          pcm0
>

> -----------------> the error it produces when I config the KERNEL
>
>   WARNING: The snd drivers are deprecated. Please see pcm/sbc/etc.
>
> ------------------->the following is the output of the cat sndstat
>

> VoxWare Sound Driver:3.5-alpha15-970902 (Wed Aug  6 22:58:35 PDT 1997
> Amancio Hasty@rah.star-gate.com)
> Config options:
>
> Installed drivers:
> Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
> Type 2: SoundBlaster
>

> Card config:
> OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 irq 1
>
> Audio devices:
>
> Synth devices:
> 0: Yamaha OPL-3
>
> Midi devices:
>
> Timers:
> 0: System clock
>
> Mixers:
> bash-2.03# Apr  9 14:11:53 ronin /kernel: WARNING: driver snd should
> register devices with make_dev() (dev_t = "#snd/6")
> Apr  9 14:11:53 ronin /kernel: WARNING: driver snd should register
> devices with make_dev() (dev_t = "#snd/6")
>

> any help would be very much appreciated..
>

> thanks
> kyle

Kyle,
Seeing that the snd drivers have been deprecated (made obsolete) in 4.0 and
5.0, i'd suggest another driver. sbc has taken the place of snd. My AWE64
works with the combination of pcm and sbc drivers. Read the man pages for
these to gain some more iinsight on their operation. Give it a shot and get
rid of those unsupported devices in your kernel. By the way, pcm is enough.
You don't need pcm0 in there with it.
Regards,
Otter