Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:18:09 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        George Michaelson <ggm@dstc.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: please restore search-by-date

George Michaelson said on Jun  8, 2000 at 13:23:37:

> please can you restore search-by-date into the web page:

> its increadibly useful to get responses sorted by date field.

There was a problem with it (or rather, its behaviour was -- imo --
confusing), though I don't know whether that was the reason for
removing it.  See

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=151495+153739+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-doc/19991114.freebsd-doc

Basically, if you asked for 25 results sorted by date, it wouldn't
give you the most recent 25: it would pick the highest-scoring 25 of
all time and sort those by date.  If you didn't realise that, you could
end up missing a lot of relevant mails; the only workaround was to ask
for a very large number of results sorted by date.  But even that
possibility is missing now.  Maybe it should be restored in some
form?

You can also try the search engines at geocrawler
(http://www.geocrawler.com)

Rahul.