Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 03:28:11 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   'sox' and buffering

I'm not certain of this is a 'sox' issue, or not, but here is the
symptom I'm seeing:

I've got sox reading a 'cdr'-type sound file via a FIFO.

I've got a five-second ( ~860kb ) sound sample that I'm testing
with.

I've been able to verify with 'tee' that my sample is making it
though the FIFO in it's entirety.

When I tell sox to same that sample as a cdr (rather than playing
it), I'm seeing a 21840-byte difference in size (about 1/8th of a
second); sox is sitting on the data. :/

This is under FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE with sox v 12.17.3 (from the
package, not from ports.)

Does anyone have any clue what might be going on?  It there some
magic sequence of bytes I can send down the pipe to coerce sox to
finish processing my sample?

I can explain in greater detail what I'm trying to accomplish, if
you think I'm hiding important details...

Thanks for any advice you might have...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert@numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842