Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 22:08:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
Cc:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, FreeBSD ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Whats with this -> sendto: No buffer space available

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

> What does a netstat -m show when this occurs?

I'll hack the cron script that detects and restarts the tunnel to find out
at the time of failure. Could it be a problem on the other end of the
connection or does this have to be a problem from the sending source
(Note, it's a one way pipe by design so we won't see failures in the
other direction).

--jeff

> I suspect you don't have enough mbufs.
>
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Jeff Lynch wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 21:13:47 -0600 (CST)
> > From: Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
> > To: Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
> > Cc: FreeBSD ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
> > Subject: Re: Whats with this -> sendto: No buffer space available
> >
> > Funny you should mention this. We see the same thing
> > with a vtun pipe and the tun device. Have to take the
> > ppp interface down and up to get traffic flowing again.
> >
> > --jeff
> >
> > On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Kal Torak wrote:
> >
> > > This keeps happening...
> > >
> > > I have adsl running on my gateway using pppoe with userppp
> > > and its internal nat enabled, also a fairly simple ipfw config
> > > blocking a few ports...
> > >
> > > Now every so often all data stops and checking on the gateway
> > > trying to send something I get the "sendto: No buffer space available"
> > > error and have to reboot and everything is fine again...
> > >
> > > It seems to happen at random, sometimes its fine for a week,
> > > sometimes only a few days and it happens... There is nothing
> > > of interest logged in ppp.log or security or messages...
> > >
> > > What causes this buffer to fill up and not empty? Here in australia
> > > telstras adsl is really crap and you often cant get more than 2
> > > hops past the peer... Im wondering if its something to do with
> > > apps like bitchx trying to constantly reconnect when the network
> > > is down filling up the buffer???
> > >
> > > But shouldnt the buffer eventualy empty as things time out or something?
> > > There is really not that much that should be trying to connect besides
> > > a few irc sessions...
> > >
> > > Anyway any ideas? Should I tweek some settings? Increase the max users
> > > in the kernel? This is a really annoying little problem...
> > >
> > > Thanks!!

> > > with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message
> >

> - Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE
> The Innovation Machine Ltd.                              P.O. Box 5749
> http://www.imach.com/                                Helena, MT  59604
> Home of PacketFlux Technogies and BackupDNS.com         (406)-442-6648
>       Protect your personal freedoms - visit http://www.lp.org/

Jeffrey A. Lynch		| JORSM Internet, Regional Internet Services
email: jeff@jorsm.com		| 7 Area Codes in Chicagoland and NW Indiana
Voice: (219)322-2180		| 100Mbps+ Connectivity, 56K-DS3, V.90, ISDN
Autoresponse: info@jorsm.com	| Quality Service, Affordable Prices
http://www.jorsm.com		| Serving Gov, Biz, Residential Since 1995