Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2006 16:23:48 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Resolver not always resolving hostnames

Simon L. Nielsen wrote:

> I also seen odd things happen with host(1).  These two commands were
> run right after each other.  I don't know if it's related, but I
> suspect it is.
>
> $ host cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org
> cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.
> cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.

You got a double answer here because by default host(1) searches for
both A and AAAA records for hostnames.

> $ host cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org
> cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.
> mirror03.inet.tele.dk has address 195.41.53.219

You got an answer for the A query here for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.

> cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.

You got an answer here for the AAAA query for cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org.

> cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.

This is probably an error, and if it's what I think it is this problem
is fixed in the latest version of BIND.

Whether this behavior of chasing AAAA by default is a good thing or
not is an open question, but there you go.

hth,

Doug