Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 16:49:41 +0100 (BST)
From:      Byron Schlemmer <me@byron.me.uk>
To:        FreeBSD-Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   AMI MegaRAID + Reboot issues

Hi,

I've posted on this before, and I've received no reply. I'm
cross-posting just in case it was missed before (I am desperate for
help) and to ask for further advice.

Basically we have a number of FreeBSD servers, running 4.5-RELEASE and
4.6-RELEASE, that use AMI MegaRaid 500 controllers. These boxes refuse
to reboot when sent a reboot or shutdown -r. They simply close all
processes and show :

amr0: flushing cache...done
Rebooting...

At this point the numlock key is locked, and Ctrl + Alt + Deleting does
nothing.

The exact dmesg shows:

amr0: <AMI MegaRAID> mem 0xffff0000-0xffffffff irq 11 at device 11.0 on pci0
amr0: <Series 475 40 Logical Drive Firmware> Firmware E161, BIOS 3.13, 32MB RAM

This is the same controller in both boxes that is giving us this
particular problem.

Has anybody experienced and managed to solve this problem. Not being
able to remotely reboot our servers is not a good thing. Are there any
other recommended AMI controllers? What I find odd is this controller is
specifically mentioned in both the Hardware Notes and amr(4).

	-byron