Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 18:04:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   The Power to Serve?

	I'm trying to figure out how to set up an ISDN line
(since cable modems and DSL are unavailable where I live).

	The system would look something like this:

	--the ISDN line (RJ-45 jack) is connected to an ISDN
modem.

	--the modem is connected to a computer running FreeBSD
(3.1-RELEASE right now; P-90, 64 megs ram)

	--the FreeBSD machine and the other computers (some
of which run Windows NT and even 98, as well as FreeBSD, about
6 in all) are connected by ethernet to a hub, on an internal
10.10.10.x network; one of them would be 100 feet away from
the hub, the others closer.

	So, the question is what software do I run that enables
the other computers to use the ISDN line by dialing the ISDN
modem?  It would always be dialing the number--the ISDN isp.

	Probably the FreeBSD machine needs to run natd and
ppp as server, which seems to have provision for remote dialing.

	I'm not sure how I'd get another FreeBSD machine or the
computers running NT/98 to dial the modem and get connected
(at the same time) or use a connection already established.

	I'm not looking for detailed steps, just a general
overview of the framework.

	Thanks--

		Annelise