Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 22:55:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@stretch.cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape 3.0b2 - Problem Found!

On Sun, 31 Mar 1996, Matt Thomas wrote:

> Reading this string of mail seems to imply either a window manager problem
> or a resource problem.  Have those experiencing problem tried running
> netscape with -install so it installs a private colormap?  Does it change
> the behavour?  What window manager do you run?

	Well, I thought you might be onto something, but it didn't pan
out as expected.  I brought up X with no window manager and continuted to
get the same problem, a complaint about not being able to allocate
"SlateBlue".  Then I remembered that this was my default backgronud color
for xterms, and it was clearly already allocated.

	I then restarted X without a .Xresource file and got a slightly
different message.  Netscape still complains with "Warning: Cannot
allocate colormap entry for default background." Now I am running the S3
server in 8 bits, so I am assuming that it wants more than 256 colors.

	The only effect -install had was to delay the colormap message
until I loaded a page with java code in it, instead of poping up
immediately.

cheers,
	Adrian
        System Administrator for the NVL, NIIMS and Telemedicine labs

adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~atf3r/   --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!
Member: The League for                 -->>| For an application and information
       Programming Freedom               ->| see: http://www.lpf.org/