Date:      Sat, 13 Aug 2016 21:47:34 +0200
From:      Gerd Hafenbrack <hafenbrack@arcor.de>
To:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any chance for ATI Radeon 8470 HD graphics ?

--hpgIjQGDKhEPaWOHm3gXTWkwfavrCnsL8
From: Gerd Hafenbrack <hafenbrack@arcor.de>
To: "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>

--PrLEqr8CNmCpArbajP5hkPMDBtp9rCas8

On 2016-08-13 21:04, Manish Jain wrote:
> ... there is no way to determine in advance=20
> whether certain hardware will work on not. It should not be difficult t=
o=20
> put up a web page which lists hardware compatibility ratings for the=20
> most popular hardware available online. Since things like CPU, disk=20
> drives, memory modules, monitor, keyboard and mouse always work, as a=20
> desktop user, I only need hardware compatibility scores for graphics=20
> adapter, sound card, ethernet adapter, printer/scanner. If I could=20
> easily see which currently available adapter/card/printer is supported,=
=20
> it makes life easier for everyone - for me buying the hardware, for=20
> FreeBSD users looking to support the OS and the hardware it runs on.

At leasr for graphics such a web page which lists hardware compatibility
exists:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Video_cards

> This also becomes a strong incentive to hardware manufacturers to ensur=
e=20
> that their hardware works on FreeBSD; ...

Nearly all hardware manufacturers don't give a tinker's damn about FreeBS=
D.

> ... Richland graphics don't work. ...

Richland has Northern Islands and Northern Islands should work.

> ... there is not even a single nvidia
> card ... which I can see mentioned as supported
> on the FreeBSD Graphics web page. The only cards listed there are ages =

> old and possibly very expensive cards. Not even a single card with the =

> current bunch of 210/610/710/730 chipsets is referred on that page.=20

This page is for open source drivers.
nvidia cards are supported by the proprietary driver from nvidia:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/105346