Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 13:56:41 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-ports@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/3936: perl 5.004_01 is already available

James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net> wrote:

> We are, however, working on a way to solve the bsd.port.mk problem, which
> should make all the pieces fall into place.  In theory.

OK...so the main thing I was wondering was if individuals should have the
ability to locally override the perl command that gets used.  If so, then
something that is locally overrideable (e.g. a symlink in /usr/local/bin/, a
make variable assignment from /etc/make.conf, whatever) should be used for the
final word on the perl program name...

	PERL5_PROG ?= perl5.00401
 	BUILD_DEPENDS+=		${PERL5_PROG}:${PORTSDIR}/lang/perl5
 	RUN_DEPENDS+=		${PERL5_PROG}:${PORTSDIR}/lang/perl5

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org