Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:17:29 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, Nick Sanders <fishy@hotbot.com>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Gnats <freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: docs/7914: no elf(5) manpage

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 12:29:55AM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 07:50:11PM +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> > * Nick Sanders (fishy@hotbot.com) [990921 03:54]:
> > > .data
> > > This section holds initialised data that contribute to the program's
> > > memory image. This section is of type SHT_PROGBITS.  The attribute types
> > > are SHF_ALLOC and SHF_WRITE.
> > >
> > > Initialised should be "initialized".
> >
> > If you are a United States citizen. I prefer the Queen's [Original/Olde]
> > English myself.
>
> FWIW, I think we can safely assume that the default English variant is
> US English.  There was a sweep through the man pages about a year or
> so ago, correcting things like this and converting them to the US format.

Ah, my favourite spelling debate:) If you consult the OED you will
find that such words really end in ~ize. In the latest versions
they also include ~ise, but only as an *alternative* spelling. I
suspect that it is because Americans use ~ize that most people
assume that we, in the UK, should use ~ise and because of this
widespread (mis)spelling it is now included in the OED.

To quote the manpage for the ``-b'' (British) option to spell(1)
on Suns:

     -b          Check  British  spelling.   Besides   preferring
                 "centre",  "colour",  "programme", "speciality",
                 "travelled", and so on, this option insists upon
                 -ise  in  words  like  standardize, despite what
                 Fowler and the OED say.

So I vote for "Initialize" (but also for "colour", "favour" etc ;-) )

> At some point we may put together a doc/en_GB.ISO_8859-1/ directory
> hierarchy, but I have a few other things on my plate first. . .

> --
>  [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
>  non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
>  the links.
>     -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.