Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:00:27 -0700
From:      "Peter Kurpis" <kurpis@drizzle.com>
To:        "David Wolfskill" <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fw: problem with mouse driver during install / toshiba satellite 1135 laptop

> >I am installing FreeBSD 4.7 on my laptop, and when I get to
> >the mouse configuration part, it seems I can't get any combination
> >of protocol and port to test right (i.e. for mouse movement).
>
> Why such an old code base?

I have some system-level software I want to play with that isn't
tested to run at later versions, and will probably have problems
at later versions.

I would rather find out what I have to patch and rebuild than upgrade
versions.

[More below.]

> >Windows says it's an Alps Pointing Device, on interrupt 12.
>
> >(1) What should work?
>
> Not sure, as I don't use that particular device.  I have used "moused"
> both for my Dell i5000e and for a ThinkPad 600E.
>
> >(2) If I disable the mouse driver, will this affect my X Windows
> >installation?
>
> Yes.  X won't work without a pointer device.

Oh, so it doesn't have its own driver...

Is there maybe another testing or probing utililty besides the one in
/stand/sysinstall?

Thanks for any suggestions or help!