Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 07:28:36 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), dhawk@river.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is this something to worry about?

Sorry for the lateness of this reply.  I just got around to reading the
messages from the various mailing lists I've subscribed to.

I get this behavior consistently under 2.2.2 when running restore.  If I
restore a file I can repeat this 100% of the time.  Another way to repeat this
100% of the time is to use GDB and set a breakpoint in a program.

My questions are, is this a VM fix or a PROCFS fix?  Do you feel comfortable
enough with the fix to have this merged into -stable by the time that 2.2.6 is
released?

> Mike Smith said:
> > > Background: today I did a make and install in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86
> > > and XFree86-contrib and I thought I hadn't touched /usr/bin
> > > but noticed this later in the day:
> > >
> > > -r-xr-xr-x  1 bin   bin        123 Dec  6 07:02 linux
> > > -r-xr-xr-x  1 bin   bin        122 Dec  6 07:02 qcam
> > > -r-xr-xr-x  1 bin   bin      16384 Dec 16 05:00 tail
> > > -r-xr-xr-x  1 bin   bin     126976 Dec 16 10:55 awk
> > > -r-xr-xr-x  1 bin   bin      12288 Dec 16 11:35 du
> > >
> > > That the last three files there were modified today. I'm not aware of
> > > anything on the system that would have modified 'tail' at 5am.
> >
> > This is a "feature" of the system; occasionally executables appear to
> > be written to while they're running.  Nobody has been able to work out
> > why; the write doesn't appear to change any of the actual contents of
> > the file.
> >
> I think that it has been fixed in the 3.0 line of code.  Let me know if there
> is ANY of this happening on -current!
>
> --
> John                  | Never try to teach a pig to sing,
> dyson@freebsd.org     | it just makes you look stupid, and
> jdyson@nc.com         | it irritates the pig.

UNIX Support                   OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
ITSD                          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
Government of BC            Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca

		"Quit spooling around, JES do it."