Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 00:16:48 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, "Jason T. Luttgens" <lucky@lansters.com>
Subject:   Re: Network performance question

At 22:29 -0700 4/1/01, Doug Hardie wrote:
>At 10:25 -0700 4/1/01, Mike Smith wrote:
>>  > > FreeBSD kinda disappointed me. It gets ~1000 interface errors on about
>>>  > 514000 packets. I switched the 3COM card out for a NetGear FA311 (sis
>>>  > driver). After receiving ~310000 packets, the network goes down (can't
>>>  > ping/telnet anywhere). At that point I have to ifconfig down and up the
>>>  > interface to get it back.
>>
>>You're disappointed in *FreeBSD* because of this?  These are *hardware*
>>failures you're describing here...
>
>I am not convinced yet.  I have a number of FreeBSD 3.5-Stable
>machines using the Netgear FA310TX boards that run with heavy loads.
>Most of them currently have over 6 months since the last boot and I
>never see the above problems.  I don't run tcpdump for long periods
>because I don't have the disk space to hold it.  But it never seems
>to drop packets.  I don't know the differences between the 310 and
>311 boards.  The 310 uses the pn driver in 3.5 and the dc driver on
>4.2.  I just am updating my test system to 4.2 and have not been
>able to do any long term tests yet.
>--
>-- Doug

I just got a chance to run a test with 10baseT connections.  On the
FA310TX card it hung after it got the first input error with 47K
packets received.  Something has obviously been changed from
3.5-Stable.  I have done complete installs across the network on
those cards using 3.5.  Sure won't be able to use 4.2 in a production
mode at this time.   Some of my servers handle that volume every few
minutes.  What information can I provide to help get this fixed?
--
-- Doug