Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:51:32 -0600
From:      Steve Bertrand <steve.bertrand@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Uptime [OT]

On 14/06/2012 9:43 PM, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 22:37:59 -0500, Steve Bertrand
> <steve.bertrand@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That's hardcore homie... wow!
>> What does this box survive to do?
>

> Transparent traffic shaping/firewalling via IPFW; it's not actually
> visible to the internet. There isn't much load at all, but the hardware
> is quickly aging. The dual power supply has saved it a few times, too. I
> think there's another server which I believe is close to 2600 days
> uptime but I'll have to brainstorm and see if I can remember which one
> it is.

lmao... you must be a sysadmin ;)

IPFW is all I've used on FreeBSD. I designed an ISP edge based on
Microtic hardware with flash-based FBSD installs with Quagga and IPFW. I
was hesitant to change to anything else, because I wrote an awful lot of
Perl code that automated IPFW changes across the network.

I don't use FBSD as much as I used to, but I still stick to my roots and
write most of my code on it. I don't maintain many servers with it
anymore though.

This is why I thought I'd speak up... to let everyone know I'm still
alive and kicking. Apparently, so is one of my boxes ;)

Steve