Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 00:15:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Vladimir N.Silyaev" <vns@mindspring.com>
To:        nsayer@kfu.com
Cc:        barry@lustig.com, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMWare performance when returning from suspend to disk

In muc.lists.freebsd.emulation, you wrote:
>> VMWare running on dual 800Mhz with 512MB RAM runs great, except when I
>> suspend to disk and then restore that image.  When the restored image starts
>> running, the mouse will move for a few moments and then freeze and then start
>> moving again.  The same behavior happens to window input.  During the
>> freezes, VMWare seems to be doing a lot of I/O.  Any thoughts on where to
>> look?
>
>I see this same symptom. My guest is win2k with 64M of RAM on a machine
>with 192M. I can only suspect that it's some part of the guest
>initialization that doesn't get run when you resume that does get run
>when you boot, and that doesn't matter on Linux (since presumably one
>doesn't see this when the host is a Linux box). This implies that it's a
>bug in vmmon, but I don't know enough about that code to make coherent
>suggestions. :-)
Not likely. Actualy vmmon module it's very simple - it just has
functionality to allocate fixed memory pages and make context switch back
and forward to huge piece of code executed at RING 0. This code doesn't
make any OS interaction, so fortunatly, this binary image executed on Linux
also runned on FreeBSD (I think the same code used in VMware/NT).

Returning to mentioned problem, my guess is it's a differencies it the
VM implementation between FreeBSD and Linux. But unfortunatly we don't have
any ability to traceback that.

--
Vladimir