Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 00:28:44 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to capture FreeBSD installation Screen - for review purpose

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 12:51:21PM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> >That's not how the screen shots in the Handbook were generated.  Look at
> >the vidcontrol(1) man page, and the -p and -P options.  Then look at
> >ports/graphics/scr2png and ports/textproc/scr2txt.
>
> Is vidcontrol available during install?

Hmm.  I don't think so, but sysinstall tries to invoke it anyway in
mouse.c?  If it was truly required then you could build a custom boot
floppy with it.

You can run a fake installation with sysinstall on an existing system
(for example, to populate a chroot directory hierarchy with release
bits).  I suspect that is how Randy Pratt and others have generated
the release snapshots using the tools that Nik described (and wrote --
thanks Nik!)

     - Murray