Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 08:13:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Joel Maple <joel@inetnow.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Mac

Joel,

Right now?  Not really.  The i386 processor and the Power PC processor
are two different animals.  Unfortunately, you are in the same boat I am.
I have a Mac 6214.  Apple is writing MkLinux (another flavor of Unix) to
run on Macs.  But, it doesn't run on Performas, yet.  They say they will
offer it soon though. You can look for that at www.mklinux.apple.com.

You might also want to try getting Virtual PC.  They claim that you can install
OpenStep, or Linux on it, so you *should* be able to try to load FreeBSD.
It emulates a Pentium (Pro?) with MMX.  When I looked at it, the hardware
they emulate is supported by FreeBSD.  Let me know if this works!  I'm going to
try it, but I need to buy Virtual PC first.  It will be slow though.  We're
talking 30-40% of your processor speed, especially on your 603e.

If you want to try BSD, go buy an old Mac IIci.  I got one for $200, including
the 13" color monitor.  Install NetBSD/mac (www.macbsd.org, I think).

Or you can wait for Rhapsody to come out.  It's based on NextStep, and will
have the Unix underbelly that you can work with, along with the familiar
Mac GUI.

Or you could buy the Apple port of the MacOS for Unix and install it on a
FreeBSD machine.  I think it runs for about $600.  Reviewers said that
it runs better than the normal MacOS does, since it can take advantage
of the benefits of Unix.  It might not run everything you want it to though.

There's been some talk of porting FreeBSD to the PowerPC chip, but that
probably won't happen.

Or finally, you could buy an old '486 or Pentium real cheap and install
FreeBSD.  That's the best way to learn FreeBSD.  If you get tired of it,
sell the computer.  I don't think that will happen though.

Patrick Gardella

P.S.  When you get FreeBSD running, try mlvwm.  It's an X windows manager
made to look like a Mac.  It's beta, but works well.