Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 12:43:37 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Subject:   Re: CCD vs vinum

On Wednesday,  3 March 1999 at 10:40:59 -0800, Darryl Okahata wrote:
> In freebsd-hackers, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
>
>>     I don't know of any operational bugs in the CCD device myself.  There
>>     are bugs in vinum.

I didn't see the original of this message.  It's a pity Matt didn't
specify what kind of bugs he was referring to.

>>     The only gotcha with a CCD device that I know of is that you have to
>>     remember to offset the first partition by 16 sectors or you risk loosing
>>     ccd's disklabel.
>
>      How serious are the vinum bugs?

Vinum is a much larger package than ccd.  To the best of my knowledge,
the part of vinum which corresponds to ccd is bug-free.  The bugs in
vinum are mainly of the shoot-yourself-in-the-foot variety, and
they're in the area of configuration management, which ccd doesn't
have.

> I'll be striping two 9GB drives, and I was going to use vinum (as
> ccd is more or less, "obsolete"), but now I'm not sure.  Does anyone
> have any recommendations on which to use?

Vinum, but make sure you use a recent version, such as 3.1-STABLE.  If
Matt was referring to 3.0, he would have been right.  If you *do* have
any trouble, let me know.

Greg