Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 2008 17:00:01 -0400
From:      John Almberg <jalmberg@identry.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: Remote backups using ssh and dump

> Little did I know, when I posted this question, that I would
> receive such a wealth of information.  I'm deeply appreciative of
> the community's willingness to share information and thank each and
> every one of your for your contributions.
>
> Now I have some reading to do.  :-)

I think there is a difference between what dump does and what tar/
rsync do... I like the idea of doing a bit level backup, rather than
a file level backup.

If you've never done a dump, try it locally, and then try restore,
particularly interactive restore (restore -i). It's pretty cool and I
don't think tar or rsync have anything like it.

-- John