Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 11:51:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Latest on ' HEADS UP: loader broken'

>  >
>  > Well, this is now more interesting.
>  >
>  > I gave the loader half again as much heap space *and* doubled the stack
>  > But still, the two dict lines below cause the system to die in
>  > the loader with a bad kernel stack.
>
> A bad KSP in the loader may not mean a stack problem.  Unless you're
> using the patches I mailed yesterday, then there is no entry point for
> memory management faults.  This means that you may overflow the stack
> by jumping to a non-existant entMM trap handler on a memory management
> trap and you ma end up faulting again when you get there, etc.

Yes, good point.

I think I'll try the patches and see what's up.

> Another way to workaround this is to avoid the problem altogether by
> not running any of the forth nonsense.  /boot/loader.rc's which are
> left over from 4.0-RELEASE saved my ass on both of my -current boxes.
>
> set isp_no_fwload=0xff
> set isp_mem_map=0xff
> set kern.ipc.nmbclusters=8192
> set hw.ata.wc=1
> autoboot 3

Turning on write cacheing isn't a generic workaround.

You should also note that isp_no_fwload && isp_mem_map no longer have any
meaning for -current because the QLogic driver uses hints now.

I'm rather include to think that for the short term, if we can't figure this
out right away, we keep David's stripout.

But I'm still waiting to hear what Daniel deduces from the build logs for the
boot. Then we might see.

-matt