Date:      Fri, 06 Nov 1998 23:50:16 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "George W. Dinolt" <george.w.dinolt@lmco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot Loader question

> I  have a question about the new bootloader. I have been using  the
> loader successfully including preloading .ko files and "load -t
> userconfig_script..." commands with great success.  The process seems to
> work very well. The problem is that I boot several different versions of
> FreeBSD and like to use a "floppy" to start the boot process off.
> Different floppies point to different disks or diskpartitions. Currently
> I have configured a floppy using
> disklabel -B /dev/fd0
> and a  boot.config file which contains, for example, the command
> 3:da(0,a)boot/loader
> When I boot from the floppy, this causes the loader on my 3rd scsi disk
> to run.  This all works great.

Ok.  Have you considered something like this:

  set choice=1
  echo "1 - FreeBSD 2.2"
  echo "2 - FreeBSD-current"
  read -t 10 -p "Select >>" choice
  set currdev=disk${choice}s1a:
  source /boot/boot.conf2

in the default boot.conf, and then the 'real' boot instructions in
/boot/boot.conf2?

> I would like to be able to use the boot1 and boot2 from /boot on the
> floppy. This does not seem to work. When I try the command
> disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 /dev/fd0
> and then boot off the floppy I get an error and the system hangs in the
> first boot phase.  I can, of course, just ignore the problem for the
> time being, but if/when the new files replace the current ones in
> /usr/mdec, there could be problems.

Firstly, the new files won't be replacing the old ones in /usr/mdec;
the directory will be going away.

However, to help you we need to know *what* the error is.