Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 13:56:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   TCPDUMP patch v1.1 and AppleTalk

This morning I applied the tcpdump v1.1 patch for 4.x-R on a 4.1-R system
with following configuration:

ti0=09Gigabit-Link=09IPv4 interface
xl0=09Fast Ethernet=09AppleTalk interface

options NETATALK is included in the kernel config since the host uses the
netatalk package exports the home directories for MAC users (the system
does a good job since August).

After patching and installing, tcpdump can't be used anymore since it puts
very heavy load onto the network via xl0 and AppleTalk broadcast messages
(one message each 0.2 ms). Sorry, in the moment I don't know more details
=2E..

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg