Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 1996 13:04:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Marty Leisner <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what's the best way to deal with freebsd-current?

On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, Marty Leisner wrote:

> I'm running through a proxy ftp server to the internet, so I can't
> run sup...
>
> I want to start running a "current" kernel...
>
> I got a kernel about a week ago, but it wasn't consistent
> (it was missing a header file...)

The other method that folks use is ctm, but if you do that, you have to
get the entire source tree, not just /sys.  There isn't any way to be
more selective.  There's a handbook section on ctm, and it isn't hard to
use, you can even get mail to automate it for you.  The only hard part is the
first big gulp of sources, a whale of a big file, nearly 30 megs, and
Poul kinda resists the idea of breaking it up any.  If you can't take
that in one bite, last time I needed to do that, I asked here and had
about 5 volunteers with ftp space to do it for me.  Luckily, that only
needs to be done to bootstrap yourself to current.

Sometimes your first make world under current will blow up, because there
are some tools that have to be made first, and installed, for this to work.
As a suggestion, I would manually make /usr/src/usr.bin/install first,
then do that same thing for the rpc and rpcsvc dirs of include, then the
rpcgen, then try the make world.  Don't send complaints here, Marty, they
go to the FreeBSD-current list.  You should join that list, and the
commit list too.  Stuff like the info on how to handle the rpc stuff was
posted there, and reading it will save you embarrassment on later
complaints.

You can't expect a kernel to work, if it's too far out of date with the
general system, because a lot of things in user-land, like ps, have to
track the kernel structures in order to work.  I think you really want to
either do a make world, or forget just running a current kernel.

> marty		leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com
> Member of the League for Programming Freedom (http://www.lpf.org)
> Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
>         Arthur C. Clarke, The Lost Worlds of 2001

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;