Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 11:28:22 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: blowfish passwords in FreeBSD

In message <199702141804.LAA00515@rocky.mt.sri.com> Nate Williams writes:
: I think DES and MD5 are enough in the default distribution.  You *can*
: have too much of a good thing, and it hasn't been shown that MD5 is
: breakable, and DES is only for abackwards compatability.

The main motivation for doing this in OpenBSD was Theo knowing people
that had broken MD5.  He further asserts that many of his friends are
able to break the MD5 passwords easily by brute force.  Mostly due to
the small salt space that made huge dictionary attacks possible.

: Trying to support 3 encryption routines is loke trying to support three
: init routines. :)

Well, that's true.  We should relegate MD5 to the scrap heap then
:-).  Actually, one of the features of the new sutff is a HUGE salt
sapce that make it impossible to store a dictionary on anything short
of a multiple terrabyte media.

Warner