Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2003 08:53:30 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Nathan J. Yoder" <njyoder@gummibears.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: digital signatures for downloads

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 12:51:07AM -0500, Nathan J. Yoder wrote:
>              While the FreeBSD security advisories are signed, they
> don't include secure hashes of the patches, rather they just provide
> an insecure FTP link.

Patches are also signed.  For example, from the latest advisory:

  ``
  a) Download the relevant patch from the location below, and verify the
  detached PGP signature using your PGP utility.

  # fetch ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/SA-02:44/filedesc.patch
  # fetch ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/SA-02:44/filedesc.patch.asc
  ''

The `.asc' file is the detached signature.

But I agree that packages, et cetera should also be signed.
Many of the tools are already there, but we have processes to work on.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar@celabo.org>          http://www.celabo.org/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos