Date:      15 Apr 1998 15:24:08 -0500
From:      sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
To:        Eric Lee Burns <burns+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XF86 keyboard lockup issue

Eric Lee Burns <burns+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> The system never crashes with the X server.  It always stays up, and X
> can actually be started again.  If X is started, it generally produces
> some error about not being able to open the appropriate console, and
> starts anyway. In XF86's case, this error is "VT_ACTIVATE: cannot open
> console" or something along those lines.

Well, in your /etc/ttys file you shuld have at least one of those
ttyv's set to "off", like:

ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off secure

the x server will want to run on the first "off" vtty it finds.

> I took a look at the permissions on /dev/ttyv*.  I added vty4-8 myself.
> All the devices are owned by root, but only ttyv0-2 belong to group
> "tty" and have a group writeable flag (crw--w----).  I think this may
> have something to do with the problem.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a workaround for this?  I know the keyboard
> lockout problem can be reproduced fairly easily.  If you are running
> XF86, load XDM, log in, and exit.  While the server is restarting, hold
> down some random keys.  When the server comes up, it will be impossible
> to switch virtual consoles.  (I haven't tested this since XF86 3.3, it
> may have been fixed since then.)

Well, one work-around is dont' hold down random keys while the server
is restarting... seriously, i'm confused at the problem.  I think it's
typical for X (especially Xsun on sparcs!) to fuck up the console
royally and generally run amuck when switching modes.  the solution
is: don't do it.  If it happens, either telnet in and run xdm, or else
reboot.

--

Steve Farrell