Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:03:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        LKentane@mweb.com (Langa Kentane)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: csh or bash (newbie)

Langa Kentane wrote,
> The other day I asked for help on how to change the default shell for root.
> Some told me that it was not a very good idea to change root's shell.
>
> Can someone explain to me why?

Most frequently people have root (/) and usr (/usr) partitions and
probably more. If you have some sort of disk problem and only can
mount /, you will only have access to shells in /bin. In the standard
FreeBSD distribution, sh and csh come in /bin, the others are ports
that will end up in /usr/local/bin by default. Those will not be there
if /usr is not mounted. In addition, since they are ports (and have a
lot more bells and whistles), I think some people feel they are less
secure than the standard sh and csh.

If your want to be able to use bash or tcsh when you use root,
standard FreeBSD has a 'Bourne Again User,' 'toor' (as in Bourne Again
Shell, bash... ha... ha...). 'toor' is meant to be given a fancy
shell, a neat-o custom environment, while 'root' keeps a low key,
simple setup for emergency use.

Anyway, those would be my motives and thoughts. HTH.