Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 00:41:48 -0400
From:      Matthew Hunt <hunt@mph124.rh.psu.edu>
To:        Mike <tdlord@elite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: moused

On Sun, Aug 31, 1997 at 09:02:05PM -0700, Mike wrote:

> well, for instance, what kinda ports you talking? ( cuaa0-1 ttyvp )

My copy of the man page says:

# The mouse daemon listens to a serial port for mouse data, interprets the
# data and then passes ioctls to the console driver.

Given that /dev/cuaa? are serial ports, and /dev/ttyv? are virtual
terminals, I don't understand the confusion.  If you are confused
between /dev/cuaa? and /dev/tty?, which are both serial ports, then
I don't think it matters much.  Anyone know otherwise?

On my machine, /dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/cuaa1.  You might want
to see if you have a /dev/mouse symlinked to a port, and change its
target if necessary.

If you have a PS/2 mouse port (a little round DIN plug) then I
think you want /dev/psm0, but I don't have one so I am not sure.
Does anyone think moused.8 should have psm(4) in "SEE ALSO"?  There
is a cross-reference in the other direction.

> and some descriptions for the diff mouse types.... like what they might say
> on the mouse label on the bottom

Again, we have prose like:

#             microsoft        Microsoft mouse
#             mousesystems     Mouse systems Corp mouse
#             mmseries         MM Series mouse
#             logitech         Logitech mouse
#             busmouse         A bus mouse
#             mouseman         Logitech MouseMan and TrackMan
#             ps/2             PS/2 mouse
#             mmhittab         MM HitTablet

My Logitch MouseMan says "Logitech" on the top and "MouseMan" on
the bottom.  If you can't figure out what kind of mouse you have,
consult the documentation for your mouse.  The list above specifies
pretty much every major-brand mouse, and we sure as hell can't
collect every fifty-cent mouse at Joe's Discount Hardware.  If
your documentation doesn't specify what kind of mouse you have,
then the documentation for the mouse is broken.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Think locally, act globally.
finger hunt@mph124.rh.psu.edu for PGP public key.