Date:      Mon, 01 May 2006 20:30:17 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Paul Allen <nospam@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>, stable@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cc can't build 32-bit executables on amd64

Paul Allen wrote:
> This was originally mentioned in amd64/76224 which was closed by obrien with the
> terse remark: "We don't yet support building 32-bit apps on a 64-bit system. We
> only barely support *running* them at this point."
>
> Really this deserves an errata mention at the very least.  It just simply
> isn't intuitive that this functionality would be missing from a tier-1 release.
>
>                          Paul

Sorry, I'm not going to allow the toolchain to get hacked up the week
before the release.  If this is a feature that you want for FreeBSD 6.2,
then please work with the architects of the FreeBSD/amd64 platform to
make it happen.  Saying at the very very last minute before a release
that a pet feature is a requirement for tier-1 only falls on deaf ears.

Scott