Date:      Sat, 27 May 2006 16:55:50 -0400
From:      Alain Hebert <ahebert@pubnix.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Removal of Fortran from the base system

Scott Long wrote:

> Andrew R. Reiter wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 May 2006, Mike Jakubik wrote:
>>
>> :Steve Kargl wrote:
>> :> In a recent email to freebsd-current,
>> :>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-May/063435.html
>> :> Alexander Kabaev stated that the import of GCC 4.1.1 is coming soon.
>> :> :> I propose that Fortran support in the base system be removed
>> :> when GCC 4.1.1 is imported.
>> :>   :
>> :Agreed, who the hell still uses Fortran?
>> :
>>
>> Scripps Institute of Oceanography
>
> Obviously a bunch of amateurs who don't really know what they want
> or what they are doing.
>
> Scott

    (We cannot expect everybody to be adult enought to get how to use
this mailing-list.)

-----

    The obvious reason was stated before that gFortran was not bug free
and, in view of the importer, it would be best to have gFortran in ports
until the fortran community voice their opinion about which
implementations is the best one.

    Another point was that gFortran was not needed in the FreeBSD base,
but the package should be included in Disk1 to ease minimal install for
the fortran community.

    Also, if there is no maintainer for a port, it ease the decision
about which one to keep without having to get in a language/religion war.

    It seems fair to me.

-----

    Attitude and drama can be found on TV, lets focus on making BSD the
best solution for all os us.

--
Alain Hebert                                ahebert@pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.