Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 1998 09:02:10 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        ulf@Alameda.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-19980930-BETA, Tyan TomCat II Dual P5-166 is having problems

Hi,

> If I bring the system up in single CPU mode, everything is fine.
> Starting up SMP, I get the message that the MP table is broken, routing
> via pin 0. The person who gave me the board, said he had it working with
> an earlier snap shot and Linux and it was reporting "routing via pin 2"
> (at least under Linux, he can't remember FreeBSD).
>
> The system comes up, but then I get 20-25% of the CPU time eaten by
> interrupts, everytime the IRQ of the fxp card. There is no traffic
> going out and almost no traffic coming in (a few broadcasts).
>
> systat -vmstat reports 28,000 to 40,000 interrupts on the IRQ of the
> network card.
>
> Any idea what is broken ?

the "MP table is broken, routing via pin 0" line refers to the routing of the
8254 clock INT.  If this is getting mis-routed (ie left floating) it might
generate copious INTs.  Try removing the network card, then boot.  If you
still get the INTs look at the pin 0 vs. pin 2 issue.  If they go away it
probably is something about the network card.

Post the output of the 'mptable' program to the smp list.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by