Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 13:11:26 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AfterStep in -current

At 02:09 AM 1/14/97 -0800, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> * Perhaps it would be an idea for ports to specify minimum version of
> * bsd.ports.mk?  (Just set it to whatever the author of the port has on his
> * system - better that too many people upgrade than too few.)
>
>I don't think that is necassary, and it will be a royal pain to keep
>track for the whole ports tree.

Why is it nescarry to keep track?  I suggest just copying the version
number from the version the port author is running to somewhere in the
port, and just let that be a minimum.  No changes until the port is
'naturally updated', whereupon people might again be required to update
bsd.ports.mk.

>I really don't want to add another mandatory variable to every single one
of >our 752 ports.

Default to no version requirement.  No need to update old ports.

>Besides, the ports tree is only tracking -current, in principle.  If
>you have an old system, you should always get the latest bsd.port.mk
>(and put it in /usr/share/mk :) and try your luck, as we still cannot
>guarantee anything.

Of course.  The point of this was to make it easier to avoid spurious
bug-reports of the type I gave.

Not a pet idea of mine; just something I thought might save _you_ some work.

Eivind Eklund / perhaps@yes.no / http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/