Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2012 10:16:19 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, Eduardo Morras <nec556@retena.com>
Subject:   Re: OpenCL backend for LLVM

On 9 March 2012 09:31, O. Hartmann <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Well, having to pick up existing ideas and incarntions of those for
> Linux is always a pain in the ass, but necessary at the moment. The
> "experts" neglected long time the need for keeping FBSD on par with KMS
> stuff or all the other development done in that area. Hope "we"
> (FreeBSD) will get such a thing on a high performance base soon in
> FreeBSD. Or things change again and there is a real platform-independent
> standard, not necessaryly bound to Linux (which is not very realistic).

When you say experts, you really mean "users who can code." Companies
wrote those funny graphics memory API things for Linux. They didn't
have a market for BSD.

If you want a market for BSD you have to create it. :)

I've met some developers at nvidia. They all think the GPU offload
stuff is _in_ the FreeBSD nvidia driver. So someone needs to figure
out what's (still) missing from at least running workloads on FreeBSD.

Same deal goes for workload issues that people have. Keep posting
scheduler traces, keep doing the investigations and don't be afraid to
think up solutions.

The rest of us are mostly just users who hack on this stuff for fun. :-)

Adrian
(Who is hacking on this stuff (FreeBSD) for fun.)