Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 04:06:24 -0500
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        Timothy Kettering <timster@blackcore.com>, FreeBSD-Java <java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Setting the JVM timezone

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 07:27pm, Timothy Kettering wrote:
> Yes, I could put this in, but I'm also the kind of person who dislikes
> putting in a fix on top of a problem that (in my perspective) shouldn't be
> a problem to start with.  Better to resolve the problem itself, I think.

We've had this same problem!

I have checked jguru and other sources and it seems that other people, not
necessarily just with the FreeBSD VM, have had this same problem.

We made a property file for our apps and servlets to set the timezone
manually.  We did not see any other reliable mechanism for doing so.   For as
"improved" as the date/time handling is supposed to be in 1.2.2... I think
it's ridiculous that everyone is still struggling with these issues in 1.3.

Frankly I don't know why the problem hasn't gotten more attention.  Time and
date must not, surprisingly, be a major factor in the rest of the world's
Java applications . . .

IMO, the VM should *NEVER* set an arbitrary default timezone if it can't
figure out what the real timezone is.  It should throw an exception and halt.

--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]