Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:45:59 -0400
From:      "Maxime Romano" <verbophobe@hotmail.com>
To:        ryans@gamersimpact.com
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More questions.

>From: Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
>To: freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
>Subject: More questions.
>Date: 25 Aug 2002 08:28:29 -0500
>
>How can you add a session to the GDM list? I can start GNOME fine from
>KDM but haven't been able to figure out how the other way around. (I
>like KDE for some things the current version of GNOME falls behind on.)

Look in /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/Sessions/ (don't forget the capital "S" in
"Sessions").  Those are all the scripts GDM uses for sessions.  Have a look
at the "Gnome" one.  It's overly verbose, true, however, it's an example of
what you can do.  If you, for example, wanted to create a KDE script, you'd
create a new file called "KDE", then open it with your absolute favourite
text editor (such as sed and command line pipes), and type in:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/startkde

...then save the file and chmod a+x it.  GDM should notice that the new
script is there upon a good restart, and it'll proudly let you choose it.

(By the way, haven't you all noticed that GDM was very distribution
oriented?  Discuss.)

>Also, doesn't GNOME have a web browser? I really like Konqueror on KDE
>and was hoping GNOME has something that was integrated like it is for
>KDE. Yes, I can run it under GNOME but I'd like ot see something
>integrated. I thought Nautilus would be the browser, but it doesn't like
>to display HTML.

You'll have to use Galeon for this.  It is, hands down, the best browser
available for anything.  However, it's not ported to Gnome2 yet because
Mozilla itself hasn't been ported to GTK2 (damn commies!).

Your humble servant,
-Maxime