Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 12:59:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
To:        rh@com-con.net
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FWD: ATM STM-1/ OC-3 singlemode NIC for FreeBSD

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, mark tinguely wrote:

>  From: "Heimes, Rene" <rh@com-con.net>
>  To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
>
> > does anyone know a reliable atm stm-1/oc-3 singlemode network interface
> > card that is supported by freebsd?
> > and, also important, where to get it from? (vendor/distributor)

I believe that Interphase sells a 5575 with a singlemode interface,
and the Fore PCA200E was also available with one, but I don't think
you want to spend that kind of money - more than $1000 if I remember
correctly.

What I would do is get a decent multimode adapter and replace the
MMF module with SMF.  The PCA200E or LE155 cards would be perfect
for this.  I just priced HP singlemode modules last week, and they
were just over $200.  Expensive, but not insane.  If money is more
important than time, it may be possible to salvage an SMF module
from some "junk" ATM equipment.

And yes, IT IS THAT EASY.  The modules have nine pins connecting them
to the circuit board.  Desolder the old one and solder in the new one.
I did it to one of my ATM switch modules.  It was a piece of cake.
Anyone with (de-)soldering skills and a calm attitude can do it :-)

> I don't know of any single mode cards supported by FreeBSD, but I am
> forwarding this from -questions to the -atm group for their input.
>
> --mark tinguely.

-Richard