Date:      Tue, 03 Nov 1998 14:53:20 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet Explorer and UNIX

At 12:46 PM 11/3/98 -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
>Drew Baxter wrote:
>>
>> Alright, first off, no I meant IE. IE is available for (as you pointed out)
>> HP/UX and Solaris.  My question is *why* HP/UX and Solaris?  Why is it that
>
>Because that's where they can make money?  Microsoft is looking to invade
>the CORPORATE desktop, and this includes people with Sun and HP workstations
>on their desk, and people with Sun and HP servers in the datacenter and an
>X terminal on their desk.
>
>> Netscapes Servers (I invite you to find me a version of Enterprise Server,
>> Directory Server 3.5+, Messaging Server 3.5+, that'll work on FreeBSD) are
>> only for Solaris, sometimes DEC Unix, and HP/UX.. I've seen some cases of
>> Netscape only releasing something for DEC UNIX and/or Solaris, and everyone
>> else is stuck a version back.
>
>Usually, it's Solaris, then HP/UX, then DEC, IRIX, and AIX in any order,
>because that's where the installed base is, and where the sales are going.
>
>> Windows NT is easy to obtain at 300 or so bucks (workstation).  But if I'm
>> getting Netscape Servers under Netscape Free Server Software program
>> anyway, why not support Free Unixes?
>
>Because Netscape can't make money there?  Obviously, they believe they can
>make more money for their efforts on Solaris, HP/UX, and other "big iron"
>than on "itty bitty boxes."  Another reason is probably the predominance
>of Apache and Apache-based solutions at the low end; they have very little
>incentive to compete in that arena.  Would you want to compete with something
>that is entrenched, widely recognized to be a good solution, and FREE?
>
>--
>             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?
>
>Wes Peters
>+1.801.915.2061
>Softweyr LLC
>wes@softweyr.com

They aren't making money by giving away server software either.

On the other side, I'd use NCSA Mosaic over IE4 any day.  I use Netscape on
the FreeBSD box, and on the Solaris box.

Microsoft's browser share is wrapped up in their monopoly (domainance
anyway) in America Online.  I wonder if the DOJ is going to nail that one
to the wall next.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998