Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 20:00:54 +0200
From:      Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good practice for /tmp

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 01:05:39PM +0200, Joachim Griesche wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Although putting /tmp on its own partition is helpful, I
> prefer not to symlink /var/tmp to /tmp because /tmp and
> /var/tmp are handled in a different manner by most systems:
> While /tmp is cleared at boot time, /var/tmp is not (see
> the file /etc/rc and the comments where), preserving
> recovery files. If /tmp is not on its own partition, I
> create /usr/tmp and symlink /tmp to /usr/tmp in order to
> avoid filling of /.

Yeah, but if you make /tmp too small, it will give problems with adding
certain big packages like TeTeX. In that case, pkg_add needs a lot of
space in the /var/tmp directory, although i don't understand the reason
why they should use /var/tmp. Thus, I do link /var/tmp to /tmp.

--
| Jochem Kossen         jochem@jochem.dyndns.org |