Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 21:13:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher G. Petrilli" <petrilli@amber.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C2 Trusted FreeBSD?

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Mike Smith wrote:
> > And besides, zero-filling memory isn't sufficient, it has to be
> > overwritten a number of times to make sure now residual information can
> > be obtained.  These standards date back to core and even mercury-wire
> > memory.  Yes, I've actually worked with computers that feature *both* in
> > my career.  ;^)
>
> If you can suggest how one goes about obtaining "residual" information
> from a saturated logic device in a synchronous memory subsystem, I'd be
> very interested in hearing it.
>
> Or is this more specification paranoia?

I will note that IBM recently release an analysis of smart-card designs
that involved the use of residual memory imprints for recoverying private
key information. I can find the references if you want.  In addition, ifg
you will search thru the patent database, you will find that the NSA holds
about 40-50 patents in "data recovery" techniques.

WHile it's not cheap, there are quantum residuals left behind in all
environments which are measurable.

That having been said, the pattern is more important on magnetic media,
rather than DRAM.  But I say use it all the time.  In fact there is a
specific set of 8 bit numbers that are tto be written in a specific order
that are designed to exercise the memory in a specific pattern.  I can get
these if people are interested.

 Chris