Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 2004 11:26:33 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
Cc:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Solaris Jumpstart from FreeBSD

Stefan Bethke wrote this message on Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 20:01 +0100:
> Am 15.02.2004 um 19:46 schrieb John-Mark Gurney:
>
> >Stefan Bethke wrote this message on Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 17:57 +0100:
> >>One problem that I did need to solve: extract the data from a install
> >>cd image.
> >
> >are you sure this is needed anymore?  since phk put the cd drivers
> >under geom, you should be able to see the partitions on the label if
> >you have the geom_sunlabel module loaded...
>
> I had the problem a couple of months back, and all the servers I had
> available at the time were -stable.  Also note: I did not have physical
> access to any CD drive, so I needed to get the necessary stuff out of
> the image.  If GEOM now allows one to mdconfig the image, and the
> partitions are picked up automatically, all the better.

ahh, mdconfig would of probably worked long before the cd worked...
I was confused because I assumed that this work was being done on a
sparc64 box, not some random other box that either isn't sparc64, or
running FreeBSD-current...

> A colleague of mine is currently setting up a -stable based JumpStart
> server; I'll try to get him to post his experiences here...

don't forget that you probably need to have a solaris license if you
use it...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579