Date:      Tue, 05 Dec 2006 21:07:51 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        gayn.winters@bristolsystems.com
Cc:        'freebsd-hardware' <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dell 1900 and SATA

Gayn Winters wrote:

>Have you looked at
>http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/1900_specs.pdf
>
>It is NOT a good specification, but it does give some clues that may
>help.
>
>Note the PERC5 is an option board for RAID support.

Thanks, yes I've seen that.  After reading it I still had no clue what
the on-board SATA controller was, as all the disk controllers were
listed as "optional" and all are RAID's which the on-board isn't.

Maybe it's handled by the Intel 5000P chipset (I'm an AMD person
usually, and Intel chipsets mean nothing to me).  In any case, that
chipset isn't listed in the hardware compatibility list that I could see.

The PERC 5e is just overkill for what this server does, and capacity is
much more important than speed, hence the desire for SATA disks.

Thanks,

--Alex