Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 2020 17:33:32 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        Dewayne Geraghty <dewaynegeraghty@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ntp problems stratum 2 to 14?

--mxv5cy4qt+RJ9ypb

Hi Dewayne,

Sorry for the delay.  Unfortunately, I can't really suggest anything -
it's not clear to me why ntpd would prefer a stratum 14 clock over a
stratum 2 clock.  Have you tried looking through the debugging hints
page (https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/debug.html)?

I haven't seen that problem but I don't use the local clock.

During startup, it would not seem unreasonable for the local clock to
become valid first because it will have a lower jitter.  But ntpd
should switch to the stratum 2 clock and stay with in as the better
time source.  One problem is that if ntpd decides to switch away from
the clock for any reason (eg a burst of jitter), it may get stuck on
the local clock as it drifts further from "real" time.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--mxv5cy4qt+RJ9ypb

--mxv5cy4qt+RJ9ypb--