Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 10:03:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        "Jeff Gargac" <jgargac@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Jeff Gargac writes:
 > To Whom it May Concern,
 >
 > I have a few questions about FreeBSD.  I have an old computer with a 386
 > processor, 4 MB of RAM, and a 420 MB hard drive.  Is there anyway that I can
 > install FreeBSD on it without upgrading the memory?  I am just wanting to
 > experiment with the OS.

Not one of the current versions.  Some of the earlier 2.2
versions will go on this hardware.  You won't be able to do much
when you finish the installation, though.  If you want to
dedicate the hardware to a specific purpose, investigate picobsd
(Browse www.freebsd.org thoroughly).

 > Where can I find documentation on the FreeBSD language?  Is there a good
 > site to learn the commands and syntax.  Are there any graphical user
 > interfaces included with the OS or do I need to download one at a later
 > time.

If by language, you mean the utility commands you execute at the
command line (that is not the way one generally refers to them,
but it is not wrong, either), you should obtain a book on shell
programming in the Unix environment to get started.

GUIs are separate from the operating system on Unix versions.
You will be able to install a GUI when you do the OS install.
But you won't be able to run it in 4MB.  And a 386 is seriously
underpowered for any GUI, even if you had more memory.

 > Lastly, where can I find programs to experiment with?  Are all Linux and
 > Unix programs compatible.  Can I download many from the Internet.

All is a broad brush ;-) Most Linux APPLICATION programs run on
FreeBSD.  The ports and packages system makes downloading and
installing from the internet very straightforward.  Again, browse
the web site.

 > Thank you for you time and cooperation.

You are welcome.

 > Sincerely,
 >
 > Jeff Gargac

M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790